Social, what?: Why social action

From the beginning of the year, I have been really excited to do social action with my students. Yes, this is a part of our Social Justice Education class. However, this is why I am here, this is why I want to teach.With my background in Environmental Studies, the reason why I want to be a teacher is to inspire my students to be the world changers we need to save the earth, plants, and all animals (including humans). I also am very interested in partnering with people so that we can create a more just and equitable world.

All in all this is the type of work I plan to do with each of my classes, every year. Reflecting on my schooling I think this was the missing link for me. I didn't feel empowered or able to make a difference until I reached college. I want students to know that they have a voice and they can really start making a difference now. I also think this type of work enables students to use their talents, interests, and "street" smarts in their school work, and teaches students real life skills, like critical thinking and writing PSA, for example. Furthermore, as Paulo Freire wrote education is a mean for transformation. I don't want to teach my students to be future world changers, I want to empower them to think critically and change the world now. So, when it came time to start social action by introducing a couple topics to our students I was excited!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete